The main keynotes of these days thus had the rationale to give an overview on the actual academic status of SEL (and SELVET) research around the globe in general, and in the Netherlands in particular.
The first day was for preparation of the meeting, while on Thursday, the 11th we had lectures and keynotes on Social and Emotional Learning and an insight into a special football trainers´ Training programme to facilitate special situations involving SEL.
On the last day we visited the Esloo School for Vocational Education, where we not only got acquainted with the school´s background but also with the work of Centrum 16.22, a group of trainers for SEL-related materials in vocational schools. Also, a report from the Zwolle Elementary School for Specialized Education was very insightful. We´ve closed the meeting with a very interesting overview of academic evaluations of SEL programmes across the Netherlands.
The main benefits of the Hague meeting could be pinpointed as:
- A state of the art review of the research on the efficacy of SEL programmes in elementary and secondary education and of SEL afterschool programmes
- A state of the art review of research on moderators of effects of SEL programmes
- A preliminary inventory of implementation tools for SEL programmes
- Information on the effects and implementation of a SEL programme for youth sport organizations
- Continuous and on-going cooperation with CASEL on SEL in VET
- CASEL offer to review the SELVET project´s final documents, proposals and recommendations in 2015.
See you in a few weeks in Kingston, U.K.!